2 Delect cans of ackee
1 lb Saltfish
1 Onions, sliced
1 Small tomato, diced
1 Sweet bell pepper
1 Stalk scallions, chopped
2 Sprigs of thyme
¼ Scotch bonnet pepper, seeds removed
½ tsp Black pepper
2 tbsp Delect vegetable oil
- Soak the saltfish for a minimum of two hours in cold water, then drain the water.
- In a saucepan, place the saltfish and cover with fresh water. Put to boil on medium heat for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and drain the hot water. Wash the fish in cold water to cool it.
- Remove the fish skin and debone the saltfish. Flake the saltfish and set aside.
- On medium fire, heat the oil in a cooking skillet. Add the onions, thyme, tomato, sweet pepper, scotch bonnet pepper, scallions and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add the flaked saltfish and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Add the ackee, lower the heat and let it simmer for another 10-15 minutes
- Add the black pepper, turn the heat off and serve
Recipe by: Lesa