2½ lbs Chicken
2 tbsp Curry powder
2 tbsp All-purpose or Chicken seasoning
1 ½ tsp Salt
5 Pimento berries (allspice)
3 Cloves garlic, crushed
1 Medium onion, chopped
3 Sprig of fresh thyme
2 Medium carrots, chopped
1 Small potato, diced
1 ½ tsp Freshly grated ginger
1 Small scotch bonnet pepper, seeds removed and finely chopped
3 tbsp Delect vegetable oil
Wash the chicken:
- 1 lime/lemon To wash the chicken
- 1 tsp Vinegar To wash the chicken
- Remove the skin (if there is any) from the chicken and cut it into small pieces. Wash the chicken in water with the juice from the lime/lemon and the vinegar. Drain away all the excess water from the chicken. Dry with kitchen towel if necessary.
- In a kitchen bowl, add the chicken, onion, garlic, scotch bonnet pepper, pimento berries, ginger, salt, all-purpose seasoning, the curry powder and mix everything together and leave to marinate for 30 minutes or more.
- In a pot add the cooking oil and put on hot on medium heat.
- Add the seasoned chicken to the oil and stir well. Let the chicken cook until lightly brown on all sides. Don’t let the pot burn, add a tip of water if necessary.
- Stir in the carrot, potato and thyme. Add water enough to cover the chicken in the pot. Cover and leave to cook for 25-30 minutes, until the chicken is cooked and the water is reduced to a curry gravy.
Recipe by: Lesa